Friday, April 22, 2011


One of these days the water will slow down.


Lincoln and I hangin out in the fly shop, waiting for a reel to be spooled. He loves to look at all the flies and materails. I love it when he pauses and looks up to see the fish mounted on the walls. It's like "hey he gets it."

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

New Reel

I just recieved my new Allen Reel the other day. Wanted to go try it out. I found this nice brown tryin to survive in the torrent.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Last Few Years

I rounded up some of the rods I have built in the last few years. I have learned alot since I started building them. I like to see the progession in them. Each new rod I try something new, so that I can learn. I hope I am always ABLE to build them.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Recycle Reduce Restore

The other day Cort and I went to Sportsmans Warehouse for flytying supplies. Mike, a man I made friends with before I went to Alaska, works there. He spotted me and said " I have been waiting three months for you to come in here. He then showed me this old bamboo rod a friend of his brought from Fillmore. The rod belonged to this mans father. The rod had been stored and accidently got wet. This caused it to delaminate. Most of the guides are missing and the ferrules are all loose. The cork is in bad shape too. I was really excited that they wanted me to see if I could fix it for them. He wants to give it back to his father for Christmas. I will start dismantling it and getting it back in fishing condition.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Dark Chocolate

My hope is to see how this rod likes fish. I tried a few new things on this rod. First, I colored this rod by using Potassium Permanganate. It gives it a nice dark hue. I tried a few different thread color schemes, and ended up with this one. It was exactly what I was goin for. Second, I dipped this rod is Marine Spar Varnish. This was something I was a little hesitant to try. All previous rods I just finished with oil. I am glad I tried this new method of finishing my rods. It was a pretty easy method to get such good results. It is an 8' 5wt. Bamboo ferrules and Buckeye Burl reelseat.